We are just as passionate about people as we are about pets! The hard work, dedication, and passion of our associates is what propels PetSmart forward, and in order to keep growing, it’s important that we hire right, train right, and treat right.
We know interviews can be nerve-racking, but know that we are just as excited about meeting YOU as you are about meeting us! Want to totally rock that interview? Check out the tips below from our field and corporate recruiters.
- Be informed: Great, you’re interested in the job but are you fully informed? Do your research about the role (read the whole job description!), about your PetSmart location, and about life at PetSmart so you can make sure that PetSmart is the right place for you?
- Be prepared: Our interviews will differ from role to role, but you can prepare for a mix of experience-based questions and behavioral-based questions. It will be helpful to have examples of your strengths, opportunities, and how your last role has prepared you for this new one.
- Be YOU: PetSmart associates are just as diverse as the pets in our store and your interview is your time to showcase that. We value your past experiences, your education, your skills, your passion—everything that makes you YOU! We can’t wait to meet you!
When you grow into any new role, there is always a learning curve. PetSmart is no exception there, but we do have incredible learning and development resources to make the transition smoother. It doesn’t matter what part of PetSmart you’re in, or what department, or how many years of experience or what education you have—if you want to learn and grow, we have customized resources for you to develop YOUR career.
- Safety & Skills are top priorities for us, so we ensure that you have all the education you need to be a trusted partner to pets and pet parents. Based on your role, you’ll receive safety training and learn everything you need to know so that you’re confident with your new responsibilities.
- Leadership & Personal Development resources are available for ALL associates. Depending on your area of PetSmart, you’ll be able to take online courses, view webinars, or participate in in-person sessions with business leaders.
- Individual Development Plan (IDP) is a tool that allows associates to capture future goals by identifying current strengths, opportunities, and areas of professional development. We encourage associates to take charge of their own careers, but your PetSmart mentors, managers, and leaders will be there to provide support and guidance throughout this process.
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again, our people matter. From day one we invest in our associates, we recognize them, we cheer for them, and we celebrate all of the ways that they make an impact in their department, in PetSmart, and in the lives of pets and pet parents. Here are just a few ways how we support our associates:
- Recognition is just as diverse as our associates! We have everyday recognition cards, Spot bonuses, Associate of the Month programs, Circle of Excellence for store and district leaders, and anniversary celebrations.
- PetSmart Employee Assistance Program (EAP) is available to all PetSmart associates and provides free consultative services in areas such as counseling, financial planning, adoption assistance, and legal advice.
- Associate Assistance Foundation (AAF) has turned hardship into hope through financial assistance and resources to associates and their families suffering emergency hardships or natural disaster. After Hurricanes ravaged Texas, Florida, and Puerto Rico in 2017, the AAF assisted 513 families and provided $460,000 in grants and resources.