VP, MerchandisingLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2019-1656 Apply Now
It's no surprise people are passionate about the health and happiness of their pet and our Merchandising team is no different. When it comes to the products and solutions in our stores, our incredible teams of merchandising associates have everything covered – from head to tail! From keeping up with the top trends to developing new, innovative solutions, our buyers help ensure every pet parent can find exactly what their pet needs at PetSmart. Join our team and show your love for pets by creating products as special as pets themselves!
About the Job:
Reporting to the Senior Vice President Merchandising, the Vice President (VP) of Merchandising leads teams that drive and own the strategy and P&L of divisional categories and play to win in the marketplace. The VP, Merchandising leads multiple teams and manages director-level leaders through the execution of defined category strategies. As an officer, this role also provides leadership and talent development, guidance and coaching for the broader merchandising organization.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
Works closely with the Senior Vice President, Merchandising to set the overall strategic framework for the division and aligns resources and expectations to deliver results.
Leads and guides team through continuous coaching, recognition, professional development, and other leadership responsibilities. Actively develops talent to create a pipeline for succession planning.
Drives the strategy for the division, defining short- and long-term targets, goals and objectives and influencing by managing cross-functional partnerships. This includes providing recommendations on strategic plans, metric driven analytics, and ensuring activity aligns to the most critical strategies of our business.
Works collaboratively, cross functionally with stores, MP&A, PB, Marketing, and Information Technology to create a seamless, best in class customer experience in our stores.
Develops, owns and delivers merchandise financial plans.
Works with Marketing to develop marketing plans and themes that are aligned with overall strategy.
Prioritizes, allocates, and reviews the marketing plans, budget and tactical elements.
Develops effective promotional strategies and helps teams deliver high-level promotional submissions, location allocations, and proposed layouts/assortment.
Develops strategic relationships with vendors and drives the joint business planning process.
Creates a winning assortment strategy to win in the marketplace. Reviews assortment to ensure POG/assortment aligns with strategy.
Could include travel up to 20%, including overnight and/or international travel, as needed.
Other duties as assigned.
Leads divisional organization, including director-level reports.
EDUCATION & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university required; Master’s degree or higher preferred, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- 10+ years of experience in Merchandising, with demonstrated success creating solutions in a large organization.
- Ideal candidate will have experience:
- Leading in a high-performance, high-growth retail company
- In Fortune 100 retail, grocery, or related field
- Partnering with, and influencing, senior business leaders
- Developing and growing talent within own team and across the enterprise
- In executive-level writing and presentation skills
- Utilizing all necessary technology, software and communications aids
- Implementing a creative, solutions orientated approach to meeting the needs of the business
- Working effectively and cross-functionally with all levels of staff
PHYSICAL DEMANDS and WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands and work environment are characteristic of those found in a typical office environment. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable those with disabilities to perform essential functions.
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities