Veterinary TechnicianLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2019-1834 Apply Now
It's no surprise people are passionate about the health and happiness of their pet and our Merchandising team is no different. When it comes to the products and solutions in our stores, our incredible teams of merchandising associates have everything covered – from head to tail! From keeping up with the top trends to developing new, innovative solutions, our buyers help ensure every pet parent can find exactly what their pet needs at PetSmart. Join our team and show your love for pets by creating products as special as pets themselves!
About the Job:
The Pet Health Team Veterinary Technician serves as the frontline point of contact between stores and the Home Office regarding store pet health questions and concerns. Additionally, data collection and trend analysis will be performed to determine health trends in store pets. The Veterinary Technician will also assist with store pet care policy/procedure review and, along with the veterinarians, will serve as a general advisor on matters relating to pet care and pet health throughout the business.
- Primary management of existing and current responses to Store Associates and Leaders regarding Specialty Pet (avian/small mammal/reptile/amphibian/fish) health questions/concerns and related operational policies and procedures. The Technician will also assist stores in finding suitably qualified veterinarians and/or specialists within stores’ local communities, as needed.
- Preliminary review of health records and veterinary estimates prior to seeking input from the relevant Pet Health Veterinarians regarding the most appropriate course of action. The Veterinary Technician will communicate the chosen course of action to the store leaders and, at times, to the store’s veterinarian.
- Data entry of Pet Health Concerns and diagnostic results into a database. This work requires the classification of individual diagnoses into broader categories. The technician will analyze the data and provide monthly reports to further the team’s mission of continually improving pet health and quality.
- Additional data management will take place in the form of tracking third party diagnostic testing performed by vendors as part of PetSmart’s Vet Assured program.
- Assist in providing insights regarding internal content library and marketing materials for accuracy and relevance based on business demands. Recommend additional topics and articles based on tracking store associate’s requests.
- Assist in the writing and development of associate and client online and in-store education and marketing materials relating to pet husbandry, nutrition, enrichment, behavior and health care.
- Review of existing pet care policies and procedures as needed with company associates and veterinary practitioners.
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (animal science, biology, etc.) or an Associate’s degree in Veterinary Technology
- Veterinary technician certification or licensure is strongly preferred
- Must have professional training and knowledge of the biology and common clinical conditions affecting exotic pets.
- Strongly preferred 3-5 years of experience in a zoo, veterinary school, animal sanctuary, emergency & specialty small animal practice or mixed (small animal/avian & exotic) general practice veterinary hospital.
- Strong customer-focused, quantitative, analytical and project management skills
- A working technical knowledge of exotic pet veterinary medicine and husbandry is required.
- Good public speaking skills and ability to translate medical/husbandry knowledge to a level that can be understood by all audiences is desired.
- Ability to process large amounts of data and work in a fast-paced multi-doctor, corporate environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills with the ability to work effectively with diverse customers and teams but also be self-motivated with the ability to effectively work independently, if required.
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities