VeterinarianLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2019-1833 Apply Now
It's no surprise people are passionate about the health and happiness of their pet and our Merchandising team is no different. When it comes to the products and solutions in our stores, our incredible teams of merchandising associates have everything covered – from head to tail! From keeping up with the top trends to developing new, innovative solutions, our buyers help ensure every pet parent can find exactly what their pet needs at PetSmart. Join our team and show your love for pets by creating products as special as pets themselves!
About the Job:
Welfare and Compliance Veterinarian
This position involves working with diverse teams at the PetSmart Home Office, as well as working with vendors and pet care associates in our 1600+ stores. Responsibilities for this position involve ensuring the health and safety of Specialty pets (small mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, amphibians and invertebrates), reducing the risks of zoonotic disease and designing processes for continuous improvement. Daily tasks include evaluating projects and practices that promote animal health and welfare and improve operational efficiencies and processes. Most of the work is done at the PetSmart Home Office in Phoenix, but travel is required for visiting our live pet suppliers’ facilities in the United States and Canada. The work week, while in the office and not on business travel, is regular business hours Monday through Friday. The appropriate individual will have strong multi-species medical and welfare knowledge; an understanding of pathogenesis and disease transmission; and be able to collect, analyze and make data-driven decisions in a timely manner.
- Develop, maintain, and refine protocols regarding specialty pet (small mammals, birds, reptiles, fish, amphibians, and invertebrates) health, care, and welfare for our compliance program, store associates, and customers
- Manage and continuously improve our live animal health and quality program, Vet Assured, by evaluating overall vendor status and proactively mitigating animal welfare and quality issues
- Perform vendor audits of live animal suppliers and manage results and corrective/improvement actions
- Support vendors and their local veterinarians with preventative measures or appropriate treatment for health issues with our pets
- Monitor pet health-related trends in stores and suggest protocols for improvements
- Work with Marketing, Public Relations and Corporate Communications regarding pet-related issues, publications and education materials
- Support business partners with pet health concerns (infectious disease, zoonoses, etc.)
- Support Specialty Merchandising Team with regulatory compliance, product assortment, vendor compliance coordination regarding pet health requirements
- DVM or VMD degree
- A minimum of 5 years of laboratory, welfare, or exotic animal veterinary experience
- A minimum of 3 years of supervisory, management, or leadership experience
- An Arizona State Veterinary Medical License (if not already licensed) must be obtained within 6 months of hire.
- Must have (or obtain) a certificate of Veterinary Accreditation by the USDA, category II
- Strong customer-focused, quantitative, analytical, and project management skills
- Must have great communication skills and be able to work in a team environment
- Ability to resolve issues in a timely and effective manner; problem solving skills a must
- Ability to present technical information in a concise manner to various levels of the organization
- Ability to prioritize and process data and work in a fast-paced, multi-doctor, corporate environment.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access and Outlook
- Post-DVM/VMD, formal training (internship, residency, fellowship) or education in laboratory, welfare, regulatory, pathology, or related specialty or advanced degree such as MPH, PhD
- Leadership experience in a cross-functional environment
- A demonstrated understanding of scientific study design
- A record of peer-reviewed, scientific publication
- Experience using or interpreting result from statistical software/language (Excel Analysis Toolpak, SPSS, SAS, R, etc.)
- Have (or be able to get) a passport (and visa) for international travel.
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities