Sr Manager, Strategic Grants InitiativesLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2019-1590 Apply Now
PetSmart Charities is committed to finding lifelong, loving homes for all pets by supporting programs and thought leadership that bring people and pets together. Through its in-store adoption program in all PetSmart® stores across the US and Puerto Rico, PetSmart Charities helps to find forever homes and families for more than 500,000 shelter pets each year. To learn more visit www.petsmartcharities.org.
About the Job:
PetSmart Charities is seeking a Senior Manager, Strategic Grant Initiatives to support PetSmart Charities, the position will be based in Phoenix, AZ. The position will be responsible for overseeing PetSmart Charities’ implementation of strategic design through strategic initiatives and grants and will:
- Oversee strategic grant budget of approximately $20M and build a suggested annual budget for presentation to Charities’ leadership team
- Oversee cycled grant round planning and execution
- In partnership with Director of Community Relations and Programs, develop a scoring mechanism to ensure grant review and outcomes supports strategic objectives
- In partnership with grant administration team, support development of system development for receiving and processing grants
- In partnership with compliance and analytics teams, support development of measurement tools for grant compliance and outcomes
- In partnership with Charities’ leadership team, elevate priority story-telling opportunities to support broader understanding of Charities’ strategic impact
Program Development & Grants Management
- In concert with the Director of Community Relations and Programs, develop and oversee grantmaking strategies supported by PetSmart Charities. This includes but is not limited to Preserving Families in At Risk Scenarios, Improving Access to Care, Emergency Relief, and College of Veterinary Medicine grants.
- Oversee distribution of strategic grant funds and roll-out of PetSmart Charities strategy on a local and national level.
Leadership & Management
- Serve as a member of the senior management leadership team to develop and drive organizational strategy.
- Oversee Regional Relationship Managers who are responsible for cultivating and managing strategic relationship and project opportunities in the United States and Canada.
- Ensure ongoing grant-making and programmatic excellence by partnering closely with the Director of Community Relations and Programs around quality control processes and procedures.
- Attract, develop, coach and retain high-performance team members; empowering them to elevate their level of responsibility, span of control and performance.
- Work with staff to develop systems to ensure consistent, high-quality project management.
- Participate in senior management leadership meetings to discuss continued optimization of grantmaking best practices that can potentially scale across geographies covered.
- Promote a collaborative culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Ensure staff members receive timely and appropriate training and development related to the processes and procedures required for their roles.
Industry Knowledge & Involvement
- Familiarity with both animal welfare and human social services and how that intersects across geographies served.
- Knowledge of the current landscape in animal welfare and the future direction of the movement.
- Strong involvement, with best-in-class groups in the nonprofit and/or animal welfare and human services sector. Ability to connect internal leaders to leadership opportunities in the community where relevant.
- Represent Charities in a variety of settings to communicate the vision and the role that the organization plays in keeping pets and people together.
- 5-10 years of relevant work experience in grant making; specific experience in portfolio and/or program management
- Demonstrable experience in translating strategic outcomes in to grant opportunities
- Experience in management of people/teams
- Experience with scoring mechanisms and systems
- Experience in animal welfare and human social services preferred
- Basic understanding of use of data to support grant impact measurement
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Team player
- Calculated risk-taker
- Strong relationship building skills
- Creative, flexible and collaborative with an ability to work in a team-oriented environment
- Ability to continually seek information and look for new approaches to processes and practices
- Welcomes feedback as a means to personal and professional growth
- Proven ability to multi-task
- Conflict management
- Financial acumen
- Passion for PetSmart Charities’ mission; experience in animal welfare and human social services
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities