Sr. Manager, Product DevelopmentLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2019-1706 Apply Now
Our Product Development group focuses on delivering customer-centric innovations that are available only at PetSmart. This allows us to create products and solutions that our pet parents are asking for that they can’t find anywhere else. This team partners with Merchandising, Brand Management, Product Design & Integrity, and Global Sourcing to bring the product from vision to reality.
About the Job:
Sr. Manager, Product Development is responsible for developing new propriety products to drive customer loyalty, increase profitability, and address the merchandising assortment needs. This position oversees and develops products from concept to final delivery. Works closely with cross-functional teams in Brand Management, Merchandising and Buying, Product Design and Packaging to ensure customer needs are exceeded. Must be passionate about product development and have experience in technical, molded and or electrical products. Organizational skills are essential to be able to manage large volumes of details and information. Experience and managerial adherence to a product management repository system and development calendar. Researches and identifies innovative products or methods of development that upholds the integrity of the company’s proprietary brands. As a leader of the team, this role will develop and mentor associates to build organizational bench strength, as well as recognize and cultivate talent.
The Sr. Manager, Product Development will report to the Sr. Director, Product Development.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Directly responsible for large and/or complex product category and manages the product development cycle from new product initiation to execution for technical product categories.
- Partners with the Global Product Development and Costing team to ensure the development aligns to the customer’s strategic framework.
- Requires a high level of influence, cross functional partnership and the ability to execute solutions.
- Manages Product Developers who have responsibility for smaller or less complex product categories; Provides guidance and solutions during development, removing roadblocks for the team.
- Develop, test and implement workflows that increase efficiency and timeliness of product development as part of continuous improvement.
- Builds relationships and initiates processes with internal and external partners that facilitate cross- functional synergy and collaboration.
- Strategizes the execution of the team’s activities by ensuring consistency of process, quality of information and timely execution in adherence with the Product Development timeline and speed to market.
- Anticipates and drives issue resolution and manages up as necessary.
- Utilizes customer and competitive intelligence on processes in product development to drive innovation.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor's degree in Product Development/Merchandising, Marketing or related field or equivalent experience required. MBA, preferred. Requires proficiency typically obtained with 7+ years’ experience including demonstrated leadership in retail product sourcing, development, merchandising and/or buying. Experience supporting a development team and working with global manufacturers is expected.
- Requires an inquisitive results-oriented leader with strong strategic thinking, planning and analytical skills. Must have integrity and be dedicated to the principles of developing a strong collaborative team-based organization. Superior financial and business acumen is essential, and a highly credible management presence is necessary. Other attributes include:
- Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize with a sense of urgency.
- A proven leader with self-confidence, and a solid track record of accomplishments in challenging environments.
- Strong communicator who understands the importance of leadership through consensus, and who values and is good at partnering and relationship building.
- Good listening skills and ability to be effective in working with all levels of the organization.
- Position requires some travel (up to 25%).
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities