Sr. Director, Product Integrity & Social ResponsibilityLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID PD-18-6434 Apply Now
This position plays a critical role in delivering quality products made exclusively for PetSmart. This position is responsible for ensuring excellence in product integrity across all categories of proprietary brands and is accountable for ensuring that suppliers meet or exceed PetSmart’s Social Responsibility requirements. This role provides a high level of specialized knowledge in the development, implementation and maintenance of product safety, government reporting obligations, quality systems, social compliance systems, factory audit systems, and product integrity laboratory operations. This role also champions continuous improvement initiatives to establish an effective product integrity system. As leader of the team, this role will develop and mentor associates to build organizational bench strength, as well as recognize and cultivate talent.
This position directly supervises a global team of 18 total US-based associated and China-based associates, with four direct reports.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIESinclude, but are not limited to:
Product Quality Program
- Establish and maintain QA programs/activities and policies aimed at establishing a strong product quality mindset/culture to deliver product quality, safety, consistency, and customer satisfaction
- Establish and implement metrics for monitoring system effectiveness and to enable managers to make sound product quality decisions.
- Develop and maintain a corporate supplier quality assurance certification and testing program for all new and existing products, including site visits for safety and adherence to specifications.
- Provide leadership and technical support for the development of private label and innovative new products.
- Develop and implement best practices while driving continuous improvement.
- Oversee the creation and implementation of corrective actions to increase organizational consistency and efficiency.
Product Quality & Safety
- Partner with the proprietary brand team and product development to ensure that all proprietary brand products are manufactured to the highest quality standards and are compliant with company specifications, policies and government regulations
- Develop product specification sheets, along with operating standards in partnership with the proprietary brand team and product development
- Act as the advocate for Safety in the Product Development process to prevent harm and serious injury from occurring during the use of PetSmart proprietary brand products.
- Ensure that all products remain in compliance with published industry safety standards and regulations
Ongoing quality & Continuous Improvement
- Lead and implement programs for continuous improvement
- Manage data inputs from customer complaints and store feedback to identify emerging issues and action plans
Factory Social Compliance
- Responsible for ensuring compliance with fair labor practices and safe working conditions in the global factories that manufacture our product.
Regulatory Agency Contacts
- Responsible for reviewing field data and assuring that PetSmart meets its reporting obligations for all regulatory agencies around the world including but not limited to the US CPSC, FDA, etc.
- Communicate with government agencies in product compliant issues, as well as suppliers to resolve issues or concerns regarding current product quality and recommend solutions for corrective action.
- Responsible for reviewing all of product claims to ensure strict compliance with governing bodies
Third Party Laboratory Testing
- Assure that all third- party testing for new and existing products is carried out in accordance with appropriate industry regulations
Quality Inspection (Asia)
- Assure that Asia PI staff carries out pre-shipment inspections according to specifications
- Assure that Asia PI is proactive in ensuring ongoing product integrity specs are met.
- Assure that the product integrity associates receive training and career development to stay current on product integrity standards and issues
Other duties & responsibilities as assigned
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE
Minimum of a BA Degree in Business or a scientific discipline and a minimum of twelve (12) years management experience in product integrity or quality assurance required, as well as experience in setting-up factories in China. Experience in the retail industry or FMCG manufacturing highly desired. Certified Quality Auditor by ASQ is desired.
Requires written and verbal communication skills to effectively present information to all levels of leadership and key partners, including third-party service providers, suppliers and factories. Requires strong facilitation, influencing and organization skills. Must be able to work in fast paced environment where priorities change quickly. Requires strong analytical skills and the ability to analyze data for trends and needed intervention.
US & Asia, approximately 25-30%