Sr. Director of MerchandisingLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2020-1903 Apply Now
It's no surprise people are passionate about the health and happiness of their pet and our Merchandising team is no different. When it comes to the products and solutions in our stores, our incredible teams of merchandising associates have everything covered – from head to tail! From keeping up with the top trends to developing new, innovative solutions, our buyers help ensure every pet parent can find exactly what their pet needs at PetSmart. Join our team and show your love for pets by creating products as special as pets themselves!
About the Job:
The Sr. Director of Merchandising is a key leader in the Merchandising Buying team that oversees all aspects of an assigned category. This leader is accountable for the creation and execution of comprehensive strategies both near and long term that align to the assigned categories and total PetSmart strategies. Strategies should cross product, merchandising, and promotions delivering the financial goals to ensure the business achieves sales and margin plans. The Director, Buying leads a team of merchants who are responsible for department level strategies including product creation, merchandising, and promotion.
As a competitive leader in retail, this role drives buying teams to aggressively identify business opportunities and trends, understand competitive landscape, maximize assortment, and generate business analysis to achieve continued growth, forward looking plans, and profitability.
- Leads a team responsible for the assigned categories; Indirectly lead and partner with Planning and Allocation teams.
- Creates and drives strategy with full accountability for assigned categories ensuring that the sales and margin results achieve financial and strategic goals of the Company.
- Drives partnership and collaboration with Merchandise Planning and Allocation, Product Development, Store Operations, Marketing and vendors community.
- Aggressive and urgently drive the business by leveraging and integrating business analysis to track sales, identify key trends and maximize opportunities in the assortment.
- Responsible for vendor relationships including annual negotiations to secure financial and business support.
- Accountable for the skill development and career growth of the team.
- Bachelor Degree, MBA preferred.
- 8-10 years experience in Buying/Planning roles, with increasing levels of leadership experience. Retail experience required, and CPG experience is an additional benefit.
- Proven ability and experience in evaluating analytics and applying to business decision making.
- Proven track record of identifying opportunities and driving sales and margin metrics.
- Strong strategic, customer focused, analytical, management, and financial skills.
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities