Sr Database Engineer - Netezza
We're growing at a faster pace than we ever have before, investing heavily in cutting-edge technology and, more importantly, our people. Our PetSmart IT team isn't just its own department; they are valued business partners to every area of our company. At every level, our IT associates are empowered to come up with the innovative ideas that have strategic impacts on the business. You'll take pride in the work that you do and the "why" behind it all - for the love of pets.
Life at PetSmart: Meet Mike!
Life at PetSmart: Phoenix
Life at Petsmart: My 3 words
If you are having trouble applying for this role, please email me directly: email@example.com
Sr. Systems Engineer (Database)
SUMMARYThis is a mid-level position on the Database Administration team. The principal duties for this role are 50% project driven and 50% support driven. This position provides an opportunity to play a key role on a dynamic, fast paced, collaborative and highly productive team.
- Maintains the organization’s databases across multiple platforms and computing environments.
- Analyzes and resolves issues related to information flow and content.
- Maintains database support tools, database objects, backup and recovery processes & procedures.
- Advise Data Architects and Developers on best practices in relation to data models, DDL/DML, and suggest areas of improvement for performance and efficiencies.
- Monitors database resource utilization and performance.
- Contributes to the library of documentation for database standards, maintenance and support.
- Ability to manage projects centered on databases supporting specialized applications.
- Keeping abreast of emerging technologies.
- Participation in a 24x7 on call rotation.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION REQUIREMENTSBachelor’s degree in Computer Science or an equivalent combination of related work experience and education.
Experience and technical skills required
Experience with Backups/Restores, Grooming, Vacuuming, statistics, nz command line utilities, health checks, explain plans, object design, security management, PMR management, upgrades and patching
- Oracle 11g/12c experience
RMAN, ASM, Enterprise Manager Cloud Control, RAC, database patches and upgrades, AWR\ASH analysis, PL/SQL skills, ability to provide recommendations on SQL changes and/or database modifications in order to improve performance
- SQL Server 2008 – SQL Server 2016
Transact-SQL skills, SQL Azure, database patches and upgrades, ability to provide recommendations on SQL changes and/or database modifications in order to improve performance, working knowledge of SSRS and SSIS
- Intermediate knowledge of AIX, Linux, and Windows operating systems
- UNIX shell scripting, PowerShell scripting
- Working knowledge of VMWare
- EMC Networker, Pure storage, Solarwinds DPA, and Toad experience is a plus
- A minimum of 3-5 years proven experience as a Netezza DBA
- Proven experience of managing multiple RDBMS on large, complex systems
PREREQUISITE COMMUNICATIONS AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
- Independently identifies issues and enhancement possibilities and addresses documentation needs.
- Able to communicate on both conceptual and technical areas in relevant technologies.
- Able to communicate comfortably at all levels including corporate management.
- Must be able to perform in a fast-paced environment on a very collaborative and highly productive team.
- Able to work effectively in pressure situations.
- Excellent problem-solving skills and the ability to debug complex data issues and environments.
- Excellent verbal and written skills.
Pets keep us young and engaged in so many ways. So helping pet parents get what they need for their pets in the digital age is why I love my job. Even when work gets crazy, everywhere you look, there is a dog or cat who's ready to play. It's the perfect stress relief.Marc
Senior QA Analyst
WHY WORK WITH US?
We are the largest pet specialty retailer with no plans to slow down. We enjoy being top dog and we are constantly evolving with our customers. Oh, and we have puppies and kittens and fish and turtles and hamsters — whichever pet makes you smile, you’ll see them here at our home office!
WHY PETSMART IT?
Technology is ever-changing and our teams need to be able to grow and change just as quickly. That’s why we’ve created a Continuous Associate Transformation (CAT!) Program specifically for the IT team. Whether you want to grow your career by learning new skills or gain leadership experience, PetSmart provides an engaging environment and an actionable plan to support your growth.
We’re growing at a faster pace than ever before. We are building, automating, simplifying, and innovating technology that impacts millions of pets and pet parents. The best part? We don’t have to wait months or years to see changes. We are implementing change RIGHT NOW and it motivates us to keep going.
Seriously, why not? We can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t love it here. What are you waiting for?!
Benefits / Perks
Medical, Dental, Vision
Performance Bonus, 401k Match, Deferred Compensation
Paid Time off:
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development, Online Learning
Dog Park, Fitness Center, Cafe
Onsite Childcare, Wellness Programs, Adoption Assistance
Financial Planning, Legal Assistance, Disaster Relief
Associate Discount, Relocation Assistance, Family Events
We value the diversity in knowledge, experience, and education that our candidates bring to PetSmart. However, those aren’t the only things that make our teams successful. Take a look at just a few of the traits we look for when hiring new associates.