Sr Data Science ManagerLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2019-1844 Apply Now
The Advanced Analytics Group is a team of 5 – 6 highly business-oriented Strategy and Data Science professionals that uses Big Data to generate break-through insights to deliver top- and bottom-line growth for the company.
About the Job:
This is a high-visibility role with regular access to senior leadership and with an opportunity for disproportionate impact to the business. The role is suited for candidates who have experience with various modeling techniques with direct business impact.
Reporting to the Senior Director Advanced Analytics, the Senior Data Scientist will be a thought partner to the functional leaders (such as marketing, supply chain, merchandising, store operations, etc.) to:
- Leverage advanced modeling methodologies to analyze the business and capitalize on opportunities, to drive sustainably improved business results
- Drive continuous improvement in business processes through analytics. Some examples include: labor optimization, customer segmentation, CRM and promotional effectiveness, pricing, etc.
- Support leaders and teams across PetSmart on critical, episodic needs of the business, contributing on a broad spectrum from “Business Intelligence / Analytics” to “pure data science”
- Work collaboratively with PetSmart Information Systems and BI to:
- Establish best practices and drive continuous improvement in the data science infrastructure, data management, and workflow
- And to turn AAG findings, insights and algorithms into automated capabilities for core PetSmart processes, execution and measurement
- Develop insightful and condensed visualizations out of complicated analytics and provide actionable recommendations (“so what”) for various business teams
- Exemplary quantitative background and technical skillset with a proven track record of success in data science
- Strategic thinker, deeply curious and passionate about framing business problems in analytical terms and using the appropriate modeling technique to answer critical business questions
- Proven ability to work collaboratively and constructively with leaders and team members across the business to execute and deliver against analytical projects
- Comfort with working across the full “Business Intelligence / Analytics / Data Science spectrum” to deliver against key business needs
- Flexible mindset, and ability to contribute to multiple work streams, with (sometimes) fluid and evolving prioritization
- Strong communication skills, with a particular focus on the ability to:
- Translate complex or highly technical concepts in ways that make them easily understood by leaders and team members
- Efficiently get to “client-ready” output for direct manager and other leaders
- Enjoy teaching others about Data Science and enthusiastic about serving as a corporate authority (SME) in a technical discipline and being recognized as a world class expert
- Understands research methods in working with divergent data types, to explore and extrapolate data-driven insights using advanced modeling and testing applied to data acquired from a range of sources.
- Advanced knowledge of various modeling techniques. Must have experience with most of these methods/approaches applied to actual business scenarios:
- Modeling, Assessment and Selection: Identifying data sources and methodology, dealing with messy data and missing values, train/dev/test sets, wide vs tall data sets, merging, munging, and creating data
- Supervised Learning: Multiple regression, time series analysis and forecasting, decision trees, random forests, lasso/ridge/elastic nets, logistic regression, propensity score matching, survival analysis
- Unsupervised learning: k-means, association rules, hierarchical clustering, PCA, Bayesian clustering
- Operations Research: Linear/dynamic programming and optimal control, optimization and simulation techniques, Monte Carlo methods, network and graph analysis, systems modeling, queuing models, scheduling, decision analysis, stochastic modeling
- Other Concepts: Experimental designs, discrete choice modeling, affinity analysis, Sentiment analysis, CLV modeling, market basket analysis, price elasticity
- Candidate must have strong programming experience with at least one of R, Python or Spark
- Experience working with IT and BI departments in helping enhance data integrity and availability
- Candidate must be able to research and learn cutting edge techniques to augment current tools and methodologies
- Candidate must have five or more (5+) years of professional experience in an analytical role
- Masters in Statistics, Applied Mathematics, or heavily quantitative field (PhD preferred); or proven equivalent experience
- Fluency in Python, R, or Spark is required
- Secondary strengths in Matlab/Octave, PHP, C, Java, Hadoop, Hive, and/or SQL
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities