Sr. Buyer - HardgoodsLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2019-1490 Apply Now
It's no surprise people are passionate about the health and happiness of their pet and our Merchandising (buying) team is no different. When it comes to the products and solutions in our stores, our incredible teams of merchandising associates have everything covered – from head to tail! From keeping up with the top trends to developing new, innovative solutions, our buyers help ensure every pet parent can find exactly what their pet needs at PetSmart. Join our team and show your love for pets by creating products as special as pets themselves!
About the Job:
How this role will make an impact:
As the Sr. Buyer you and your team will be responsible for setting the current and future merchandise strategy, determining assortment selection, creating pricing strategy, and identifying promotional opportunities. You will need to stay abreast of current and future market and competitor trends impacting the business to provide Sr. Leadership with recommendations on how to maintain PetSmart’s market leadership position and to sustain year over year growth. You will also provide leadership to a team of 1 Associate Buyer and 1 Assistant Buyer in the creation of plans for purchases, communications, and implementation of controls for merchandise selection to maximize sales and margin dollars.
Your goals and responsibilities will include:
- Developing and communicating business plans that maximize sales, margin dollars, margin percentage, and profitability based on current business trends to maintain PetSmart’s market leadership position.
- Negotiating product costs, terms and shipping/returns issues
- Create effective partnerships with supply chain, distribution centers, and store operations leaders
- Developing and influencing vendor relationships in order to ensure the best prices, products and shipments.
- Collaborating with other merchandising functions to determine product lifecycle, exit strategy and inventory aging standards.
- Participating in recommending, setting and approving product pricing strategies to achieve specific margin objectives and recommending appropriate markdowns.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Bachelor’s degree in Merchandising management, Economics, Business or related degree from 4-year college or university.
- 5 years of retail buying experience required. Includes experience in both high volume and high value categories
- Experience leading and mentoring a team of Associate or Assistant Buyers is essential
- Ability to lead cross-functional teams
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities