Sr. Analyst Pricing & PromotionsLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2019-1356 Apply Now
Our Merchandise Planning and Allocation (MP&A) teams are the driving forces behind making the organization’s product visions available to our consumers through calculated and strategic measures. Your involvement in sales and margin forecasts, promotional performance analysis, inventory management, and vendor relationships will play a critical role in obtaining goals while maintaining PetSmart’s reputation in the market as a trusted partner to pet parents.
About the Job:
The Sr. Pricing & Promotions Analyst is responsible for analyzing, recommending, and executing pricing strategies in support of assigned categories and company pricing objectives and guidelines. The position will provide base price optimization recommendations by partnering with the Buying and Merchandise Planning and Allocation teams to identify trends, monitor sales and margin performance and forecast the impact of pricing actions within categories. Collaborates with Promotional Governance team to analyze effects of base and promotional prices to the total category performance. As a Sr. Analyst, the role will also provide informal leadership and mentoring to more junior team members.
- Provides fact-based guidance to Buyers in selecting pricing strategies/rules that result in increased sales, profit and/or market share. Builds pricing models which support the category business plan as well as align with the overall pricing strategy. Modifies pricing models as needed to ensure all pricing objectives are met.
- Conduct standard and ad-hoc category analyses that could include macroeconomic trends, competitor dynamics and behavior, customer segmentation, and transaction/basket analysis. Analyze the performance of current pricing strategies and make recommendations to optimize pricing rules and present key findings to varying levels of the organization.
- Manages rules and strategies within price optimization system. Monitors competitor prices across all price zones for designated Known Value Items (KVIs) and maintain competitive price indices. Reviews system-generated pricing recommendations for accuracy and alignment to category strategy.
- Manages day-to-day pricing execution activities for assigned categories, including coordinating pricing calendar to balance workload in stores and improve price execution. Audits pricing activity to ensure 100% accuracy; Create reports to track errors.
- Supports development/implementation of price tests to validate category strategies. Provides guidance and expertise on store/SKU elasticity as it relates to future price changes. Acts as liaison between Pricing department and other areas of the business so support other initiatives or special projects; identifies areas of disconnect in goals and works toward resolution.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Economics, Statistics, Computer Science, Mathematics or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires proficiency typically obtained with 3+ years related experience including 2+ years in pricing and/or
- Requires knowledge of pricing and/or promotion concepts such as price elasticity, competitive price positioning, portfolio or strategic pricing, sales and/or margin optimization.
Knowledge and Skills:
- Strong analytical skills and demonstrated ability to synthesize large and varying data sets into actionable insights
- Excellent communication skills including the ability to effectively articulate viewpoint to leadership and ability to write compelling executive level presentations
- Knowledge of retail pricing and/or promotional concepts and methodologies (e.g., econometric modeling, elasticity measurement)
- Demonstrated leadership skills and ability to mentor and influence peers, both inside and outside of department
- Strong problem-solving skills with ability to develop creative solutions
- Ability to effectively handle multiple priorities and deadlines simultaneously
Experience in Retail is preferred. Pricing experience is a plus. SAP system knowledge a plus but not required.
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities