We're growing at a faster pace than we ever have before, investing heavily in cutting-edge technology and, more importantly, our people. Our PetSmart IT team isn't just its own department; they are valued business partners to every area of our company. At every level, our IT associates are empowered to come up with the innovative ideas that have strategic impacts on the business. You'll take pride in the work that you do and the "why" behind it all - for the love of pets.
Life at PetSmart: Meet Mike!
Life at PetSmart: Phoenix
Life at Petsmart: My 3 words
It’s an exciting time in technology, and that buzz is felt throughout PetSmart! We are continuing to grow at a faster pace and we want to continue to provide best-in-class experiences for pets and pet parents. Our IT team has 4 different departments: Our IT team has 4 different departments: Information Security, IT Service Delivery, Business Enabling Systems, and IT Commerce & Customer Engagement.
Whether it’s online or in our stores, the work that the IT team does is instrumental in PetSmart’s success. We have a strategic and actionable plan underway and are looking for associates who are just as excited about it as we are.
About the Job:
How this role will make an impact:
PetSmart is aggressively accelerating its services engineering team and we are looking for strong, experienced team members who can drive us forward. As a Solutions Architect you are responsible for collaborating with the various PetSmart business areas to architect sustainable solutions to meet business needs and add significant business value. Be prepared to work in a high-impact, dynamic environment with changing priorities, development methodologies, and technical solutions.
Your goals and responsibilities will include:
- Drives the solutioning for large complex projects, collaborating with Enterprise Architects, Solutions Architects, and business area teams to build detailed technical design and specification documents.
- Documentation will be structured to meet business needs for large complex projects, considering capabilities, risks, system dependencies
- Liaise with peers in Enterprise Architecture, Data Architecture, Operations and Security to ensure support, adherence to standards and consistency in solution designs
- Proactively make recommendations for technical enhancements for better performance, scalability, and maintainability
- Provide strategic leadership and creative thinking to help the technical delivery team through the project lifecycle
- Create conceptual architecture views, collect and document architecture significant decisions and architecture key constraints
- Analyze architecture alternatives and provide recommendations on best options, considering input from the engineering teams
- Make sure that provided solutions meet overall non-functional requirements (supportability, performance, security, availability, scalability, and such)
- Determine the logical integration services inventory for the solutions he is providing, identifying what the right pattern/style is applicable for each integration, and corresponding non-functional requirements
- Accountable for delivering in an agile environment
- Works with cross functional IT and business teams to design and develop solutions based on business requirements
- Identify areas of improvement in design, implementation, process, tooling, automated testing, SQA
- Remain current on latest technologies seeking to integrate them in solutions where appropriate
- Recommends system solutions by comparing advantages and disadvantages of custom development and purchase / open source alternatives
What you’ll bring to the table:
- BS Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, MIS or other technical discipline
- Minimum 8 years hands on application design experience
- Minimum of 3 years of technical leadership or architecture experience
- Experience in Salesforce capabilities and solutions is a plus
- Strong understanding of architecture patterns for web, mobile, integration, security and infrastructure
- Experience designing hybrid cloud solutions
- Non-functional requirements gathering and solutioning experience
- Experience in Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) / Water-fall and Agile development
- Ability to develop successful relationships with external and internal partners
- Demonstrated problem solving, multi-tasking, troubleshooting skills with a high degree of flexibility
- Ability to address short term tactical requirements without losing site of the longer-range strategic direction
- Self-motivated and discipline to meet deadlines with speed, accuracy and professional attitude
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Excellent analytical and trouble-shooting skills
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities
Pets keep us young and engaged in so many ways. So helping pet parents get what they need for their pets in the digital age is why I love my job. Even when work gets crazy, everywhere you look, there is a dog or cat who's ready to play. It's the perfect stress relief.Marc
Senior QA Analyst
WHY WORK WITH US?
We are the largest pet specialty retailer with no plans to slow down. We enjoy being top dog and we are constantly evolving with our customers. Oh, and we have puppies and kittens and fish and turtles and hamsters — whichever pet makes you smile, you’ll see them here at our home office!
WHY PETSMART IT?
Technology is ever-changing and our teams need to be able to grow and change just as quickly. That’s why we’ve created a Continuous Associate Transformation (CAT!) Program specifically for the IT team. Whether you want to grow your career by learning new skills or gain leadership experience, PetSmart provides an engaging environment and an actionable plan to support your growth.
We’re growing at a faster pace than ever before. We are building, automating, simplifying, and innovating technology that impacts millions of pets and pet parents. The best part? We don’t have to wait months or years to see changes. We are implementing change RIGHT NOW and it motivates us to keep going.
Seriously, why not? We can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t love it here. What are you waiting for?!
Benefits / Perks
Medical, Dental, Vision
Performance Bonus, 401k Match, Deferred Compensation
Paid Time off:
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development, Online Learning
Dog Park, Fitness Center, Cafe
Onsite Childcare, Wellness Programs, Adoption Assistance
Financial Planning, Legal Assistance, Disaster Relief
Associate Discount, Relocation Assistance, Family Events
We value the diversity in knowledge, experience, and education that our candidates bring to PetSmart. However, those aren’t the only things that make our teams successful. Take a look at just a few of the traits we look for when hiring new associates.