Senior Counsel - Product Development & MarketingLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2020-1962 Apply Now
The Legal team provides responsive, collaborative, high-quality legal services and sound business solutions to our partners across all areas of PetSmart including business relationships, employment law, associate relations, real estate transactions, and others. They ensure we are operating with integrity and in line with our strategic initiatives.
About the Job:
PetSmart is looking for a talented attorney to join our Legal team to provide support for our customer-facing activities. This position involves working with a diverse team of legal colleagues, product developers, product quality specialists, marketers and merchants. We are looking for a candidate who can provide practical, business-oriented legal advice to these internal business teams to achieve commercial goals in a fast-paced environment. The position’s primary responsibilities will be related to PetSmart’s product development functions, but the role will also provide support for our marketing, eComm and merchandising functions.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Act as primary legal advisor for product development and quality assurance teams for legal, regulatory, and compliance issues related to new and existing products.
- Advise on the accuracy and efficacy of product claims and assist business teams in crafting appropriate tests and protocols to substantiate claims.
- Analyze and evaluate legal exposure in product liability and quality assurance matters and respond to post-market issues, including recalls, withdrawals or inquiries from state and federal regulatory agencies (EPA, FDA, CPSA).
- Review of customer-facing sales and marketing materials, including product packaging, in-store signage, associate training materials, etc.
- Advise on privacy laws and regulations with a specific focus on issues related to customer data, digital advertising technology and advertising content regulations.
- Develop and build processes and training to ensure continued compliance with legal, privacy and contractual requirements for PetSmart’s products and advertising.
- Review, draft and negotiate agreements for business partners, e.g.: merchandise purchase agreements, provider agreements, license agreements, sponsorship agreements, etc.
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university required.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school required.
- Licensed member of the bar in at least one jurisdiction, in good standing, required.
- Minimum of 10+ years of related and relevant experience, preferably with larger business clients for Sr. Counsel level. In-house legal experience is a plus.
- Minimum of 5+ years of related and relevant experience, preferably with larger business clients for Counsel level. In-house legal experience is a plus.
- Relevant experience includes:
- Experience with product development and a strong understanding of relevant consumer products compliance issues
- Knowledge of federal and state false advertising and deceptive trade practices laws
- Knowledge of the data privacy landscape impacting consumer brands and the customers who shop with them
- Significant experience with contract drafting and negotiation
- Must have strong business and financial acumen and excellent commercial judgment.
- Must have excellent communication skills, including the ability to quickly digest and convey complex legal issues to non-legal professionals throughout the company.
- Must have excellent organizational skills and the ability to effectively prioritize, manage and deliver projects on time.
- Must have strong interpersonal skills, including an ability to work well with others, influence management, peers and staff.
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities