Senior Big Data Platform Engineer
We're growing at a faster pace than we ever have before, investing heavily in cutting-edge technology and, more importantly, our people. Our PetSmart IT team isn't just its own department; they are valued business partners to every area of our company. At every level, our IT associates are empowered to come up with the innovative ideas that have strategic impacts on the business. You'll take pride in the work that you do and the "why" behind it all - for the love of pets.
Life at PetSmart: Meet Mike!
Life at PetSmart: Phoenix
Life at Petsmart: My 3 words
It’s an exciting time in technology, and that buzz is felt throughout PetSmart! We are continuing to grow at a faster pace and we want to continue to provide best-in-class experiences for pets and pet parents. Our IT team has 4 different departments: Information Security, IT Service Delivery, Business Enabling Systems, and IT Commerce & Customer Engagement.
Whether it’s online or in our stores, the work that the IT team does is instrumental in PetSmart’s success. We have a strategic and actionable plan underway and are looking for associates who are just as excited about it as we are.
About the Job:
Job Responsibilities: PetSmart is looking for a Senior Big Data Engineer to help design, build, and enable new uses cases leveraging our Big Data Platform (Azure). In this role you will design, create, and support new bespoke data sets leveraging big data tools to help provide new and innovative insights to our business. You will be responsible for working with customers to define data assets that are needed, and work to align with peers across data engineering (data ingestion and the cloud platform teams) to ensure needed data assets exist. You will also partner with our Advanced Analytics team (Data Science) to enable pipelines allowing model outputs to be consumed on a large scale and real-time basis. You will be expected to be hands on and create data sets using big data tools, you might also be expected to lead teams of engineers based on the product backlog.
- Senior Engineer on the Big Data - Data Engineering team. Design, develop, implement, and maintain code that enables data and analytics use cases across the enterprise
- Design and build complex applications with an emphasis on performance, scalability, and high-reliability (DevOps Model). You build it you own it!
- Code, test, and document new or modified data systems to create robust and scalable applications for data analytics
- Write concise code utilizing complex algorithms that can run at scale to build data driven features
- Dive deep into performance, scalability, capacity, and reliability problems to resolve issues
- Develop models within distributed computing frameworks
- Take on research projects to improve data processing and implemented machine learning frameworks
- Degree in Computer Science, Applied Mathematics, Engineering, or any other technology related field
- 5+ years of experience working in a big data environment (Required) must be able to articulate use cases supported and outcomes driven. Expert knowledge of the following:
- Proven experience designing, building, and operating enterprise grade data streaming use cases leveraging one of the following:
- Spark Streaming
- Large scale data engineering and business intelligence delivery experience
- Design of large-scale enterprise level big data platforms
- 100’s or 1000’s of concurrent users
- Experience working with and performing analysis using large data sets
- 10-1000 TB
- Experience working with or on a mature, self-organized agile team
- Experience with Jira, Rally, or equivalent
- Familiarity with common data science toolkits: R, NLTK, Spark MLlib, etc.
- Self-motivated with strong problem-solving capabilities and experience working in a greenfield environment
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities
Pets keep us young and engaged in so many ways. So helping pet parents get what they need for their pets in the digital age is why I love my job. Even when work gets crazy, everywhere you look, there is a dog or cat who's ready to play. It's the perfect stress relief.Marc
Senior QA Analyst
WHY WORK WITH US?
We are the largest pet specialty retailer with no plans to slow down. We enjoy being top dog and we are constantly evolving with our customers. Oh, and we have puppies and kittens and fish and turtles and hamsters — whichever pet makes you smile, you’ll see them here at our home office!
WHY PETSMART IT?
Technology is ever-changing and our teams need to be able to grow and change just as quickly. That’s why we’ve created a Continuous Associate Transformation (CAT!) Program specifically for the IT team. Whether you want to grow your career by learning new skills or gain leadership experience, PetSmart provides an engaging environment and an actionable plan to support your growth.
We’re growing at a faster pace than ever before. We are building, automating, simplifying, and innovating technology that impacts millions of pets and pet parents. The best part? We don’t have to wait months or years to see changes. We are implementing change RIGHT NOW and it motivates us to keep going.
Seriously, why not? We can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t love it here. What are you waiting for?!
Benefits / Perks
Medical, Dental, Vision
Performance Bonus, 401k Match, Deferred Compensation
Paid Time off:
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development, Online Learning
Dog Park, Fitness Center, Cafe
Onsite Childcare, Wellness Programs, Adoption Assistance
Financial Planning, Legal Assistance, Disaster Relief
Associate Discount, Relocation Assistance, Family Events
We value the diversity in knowledge, experience, and education that our candidates bring to PetSmart. However, those aren’t the only things that make our teams successful. Take a look at just a few of the traits we look for when hiring new associates.