We're growing at a faster pace than we ever have before, investing heavily in cutting-edge technology and, more importantly, our people. Our PetSmart IT team isn't just its own department; they are valued business partners to every area of our company. At every level, our IT associates are empowered to come up with the innovative ideas that have strategic impacts on the business. You'll take pride in the work that you do and the "why" behind it all - for the love of pets.
Life at PetSmart: Meet Mike!
Life at PetSmart: Phoenix
Life at Petsmart: My 3 words
IT Project Manager – Business Enabling Systems (BES)
How this role will make an impact:
Is your passion to lead technical projects that deliver solutions focused on supporting a growing and dynamic business? Do you love pets and want to add your experience delivering systems and applications to help PetSmart be the trusted partner of pet parents and their pets?
PetSmart is looking for an IT Project Manager who will provide direction in the development of solutions that support IT and business strategies. The PM will be responsible for leading technical projects across all areas of the BES organization. The role will be accountable for collaborating and working with cross-functional teams to implement and deliver solutions aligned with strategies and plans for technology, people, and processes. The IT Project Manager is accountable for ensuring organized, predictable, and managed change using methods built on industry standards such as waterfall and iterative methodologies.
Your goals and responsibilities will include:
- Accountable for the overall delivery of low- to medium-complexity, cross-functional projects impacting the enterprise
- Accomplish project objectives within the constraints of scope, schedule, cost, and quality
- System and application implementation and integration
- Drive development of relevant project artifacts as defined by PetSmart’s IT Project Delivery Framework
- Foster transparency on value delivered, costs, risks, resource utilization, and change control for programs and projects
- Maintain project sites with documented artifacts; ensure that projects consistently follow the Framework to ensure smooth transition to operations
- Develop, maintain, and monitor project plans/schedules to reflect delays, issues, and changes in scope
- Develop supporting project management plans such as scope, cost, risk, schedule, quality, resource, procurement, and change management plans
- Anticipate risks, drive contingency planning, and resolve roadblocks. Log project issues and risks, escalating when necessary, including impact and mitigation assessments and proposals
- Work with Resource Managers to manage and direct assigned project resources to best meet project objectives
- Manage and monitor day-to-day activity and provide direction to project team members and supporting organizations
- Perform project communication, including status reporting, at multiple levels of the organization
- Understand and advocate best practices in high-level application and system designs
- Demonstrate abilities as a team leader by developing team collaboration and an atmosphere of trust and transparency
- Seek diverse views to encourage improvement and innovation
- Analyze and drive continuous project learning through retrospectives
- Oversee project budget management, reporting, analysis, and financial reviews; manage day-to-day budget for IT projects
- Develop strong relationships within IT and the business (including vendors)
- Participate in forecast activities to estimate staffing and project scoping
- Participate and lead Project Leadership Team meetings
- May drive contracts/SOWs, oversee budgets; review expenditures and partner to analyze variances
What you’ll bring to the table:
- 5+ years minimum IT experience in an enterprise-level environment exhibiting proven client management, relationship development, analytical and problem-solving skills, and end-to-end experience with methodologies
- 3-5 years minimum experience in technical project management, leading the implementation of highly-complex systems, applications, and business capabilities
- 1-3 years of experience with industry standard retail applications, or equivalent experience
- Advanced knowledge of project system environment management; integrations, implementation, change management, training, and coordination of environment utilization
- Advanced understanding of and experience with software development and integration project lifecycles, and business planning, with a proven track record of success in multiple, moderately complex projects
- Excellent project team leadership, communication, presentation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to build a strong network and relationships across IT functions and the business
- Ability to effectively manage time, prioritize work, multi-task across many assignments
- Ability to assess the impact of new project requirements on an existing team workload
- Ability to assess and resolve complex business problems/issues/risks and facilitate conflict management, issue resolution, and risk mitigation
- Strong planning and estimating skill
- Competency using processes and tools required to perform duties and task
- Flexibility and adaptability to shifting priorities, demands, and timelines. Ability to work in a fast-paced environment and handle multiple quickly changing and competing priorities
- Knowledge of IT Capital and Expense budgeting, classification
- Experience creating business requirements, project plans, project schedules, and associated project materials
- Proficient in project management disciplines and tools: MS Project; Microsoft Office Suite (Word, Excel, Project, PowerPoint, Visio, Outlook, SharePoint)
- Hands-on knowledge of Microsoft Project Enterprise/Project Web App (PWA) desired
- Hands on knowledge of Atlassian Suite (Jira, Confluence, HipChat) desired
- PMP, Lean, or other project management certifications with demonstrable experience
- ERP implementation experience a plus; knowledge of functional, technical, and business processes for one or more SAP Functional Areas (FI, Retail, HR) a plus
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Management Information Systems, or related technical field, or equivalent work experience
- Project Management Professional (PMP) certification
- ITIL, Lean Certification
- ERP / SAP experience
About our IT team:
We’re growing at a faster pace than we ever have before, investing heavily in cutting-edge technology and, more importantly, our people. Our PetSmart IT team isn’t just its own department, they are valued business partners to every area of our company. At every level, our IT associates are empowered to come up with innovative ideas that have strategic impacts to the business. You’ll take pride in the work that you do and the “why” behind it all—for the love of pets.
Why you’ll love it here:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet-friendly environment – bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite childcare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities
Click here to meet Mike Goodwin, PetSmart’s CIO https://vimeo.com/254726837
Pets keep us young and engaged in so many ways. So helping pet parents get what they need for their pets in the digital age is why I love my job. Even when work gets crazy, everywhere you look, there is a dog or cat who's ready to play. It's the perfect stress relief.Marc
Senior QA Analyst
WHY WORK WITH US?
We are the largest pet specialty retailer with no plans to slow down. We enjoy being top dog and we are constantly evolving with our customers. Oh, and we have puppies and kittens and fish and turtles and hamsters — whichever pet makes you smile, you’ll see them here at our home office!
WHY PETSMART IT?
Technology is ever-changing and our teams need to be able to grow and change just as quickly. That’s why we’ve created a Continuous Associate Transformation (CAT!) Program specifically for the IT team. Whether you want to grow your career by learning new skills or gain leadership experience, PetSmart provides an engaging environment and an actionable plan to support your growth.
We’re growing at a faster pace than ever before. We are building, automating, simplifying, and innovating technology that impacts millions of pets and pet parents. The best part? We don’t have to wait months or years to see changes. We are implementing change RIGHT NOW and it motivates us to keep going.
Seriously, why not? We can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t love it here. What are you waiting for?!
Benefits / Perks
Medical, Dental, Vision
Performance Bonus, 401k Match, Deferred Compensation
Paid Time off:
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development, Online Learning
Dog Park, Fitness Center, Cafe
Onsite Childcare, Wellness Programs, Adoption Assistance
Financial Planning, Legal Assistance, Disaster Relief
Associate Discount, Relocation Assistance, Family Events
We value the diversity in knowledge, experience, and education that our candidates bring to PetSmart. However, those aren’t the only things that make our teams successful. Take a look at just a few of the traits we look for when hiring new associates.