Product Quality Engineer - Hardgoods and SpecialtyLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2019-1714 Apply Now
Our Product Development group focuses on delivering customer-centric innovations that are available only at PetSmart. This allows us to create products and solutions that our pet parents are asking for that they can’t find anywhere else. This team partners with Merchandising, Brand Management, Product Design & Integrity, and Global Sourcing to bring the product from vision to reality.
About the Job:
We are the Product Integrity Department. We ensure that PetSmart products are safe, compliant and perform well for our customers and their pets. We do this by building and managing product standards, fostering a healthy supplier quality management program, and driving product & process improvements.
• Continually build and maintain product testing and inspection standards to ensure they are in-line with any applicable safety or regulatory requirements.
• Work with Product Development (PD), Brand Management and Buying teams to identify product expectations and support by building out the right critical to quality standards.
• Regularly meet with the PD team to discuss new or changing products and offer insight that focuses on mitigating safety risks and ways to achieve desired performance.
• Work with Global Sourcing (GS) to ensure vendors have the right technical and process capabilities.
• Partner with PD, GS and vendors for root cause analysis and corrective action preventative actions (CAPA) for trending quality issues.
• Review and provide follow up on failed product testing and inspections.
• Track, report and elevate trending significant product issues.
• Coordinate product removals, reworks and recalls.
- Support Product Quality Development (within assigned categories): Product Review, CTQ Standards, Testing Protocols, Inspection Standards, Sample Evaluation, etc.
- Support Supplier Quality Management (within assigned categories): Supplier Capability Assessments, Quality Standards Alignment, Pre-Testing Review, Review and Disposition Product Testing/Inspections
- Support Product Quality Improvement (within assigned categories): Track and Escalate Significant Product Issues, Coordinate Product Rework/Recalls, Identify and Implement new CTQ Standard Opportunities
- Maintain effective work relationships by partnering with assigned Global Sourcing, PD and Buyers, to help ensure a high quality and safe product is delivered within cost and on time.
- Act as a technical resource to cross-functional partners regarding appropriate regulatory, safety and product performance requirements for specific product categories.
- Minimum 3-5 years in a manufacturing or quality role for consumer products.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Science, Engineering or Business.
• Working knowledge of consumer product regulations (US & Canada).
• Familiar with various voluntary standards (ASTM, UL, NSF, etc.)
• Key project management and reporting
Knowledge and Skills
- Self-motivated, passionate, empathetic, approachable
• Excel in communication, project management, and analysis with a love of facts
• Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects at once
• Knowledge of how products are made. (e.g. how plastics are molded, or how metals are casted and forged)
- ASQ Certification (CQE, CQA, or CQM/OE)
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities