Principal Packaging Engineer, ConsumablesLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID PD-18-6425 Apply Now
The candidate will develop and execute technical packaging projects to meet business initiatives focused on New Product Development. This includes designing and executing material tests, analyzing data, documenting and communicating results. Key focus will be on commercializing new products. The candidate will need to be comfortable working across all packaging formats (flexible, rigid, corrugate, cans, cups, glass, etc). Communication and teamwork skills are essential in this role, which operates in a dynamic and cross-functional environment with partners in Brand, Product Development, Product Integrity, Sourcing, Project Management, Packaging Design, external packaging suppliers, contact manufacturers and business partners. The candidate must have a technical background in packaging development, understand the packaging development process from concepting to commercialization and be able to apply prior learning or scientific principles to new situations.
This position requires an individual to manage multiple assignments/ tasks concurrently and demonstrate the ability to complete work with minimal guidance. The candidate is expected to lead his or her projects and exhibit a collaborative mindset to apply innovative solutions. The position will focus on packaging for consumables, but also work on hard goods and specialty packaging projects when needed.
This candidate will have direct project responsibility as well as manage other Packaging Engineers in the future as we continue to evaluate and build this department within PetSmart.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Increase Innovation for Improved customer experience- Understanding consumers’ needs and translating them into technical packaging requirements to drive business impact
- Reduce complexity to manage and consolidate die lines for on-shelf consistent presentation
- Develop frustration free packaging (better seal, function, ergonomics, reduced headspace, etc.)
- Explore and partner with suppliers on bringing sustainable packaging film to market
- Extend shelf-life of products and reduced damage from proper venting, film thickness, sizing and polymer selection.
- Lead technical packaging development projects from concept to commercialization in close partnership with product development.
- Work closely with cross functional teams, acting as packaging lead to drive execution across multiple projects while maintaining and achieving timelines to ensure speed to market
- Manage multiple projects with complex scope concurrently
- Support general brand maintenance to ensure business continuity across multiple categories as needed.
- Manage technical packaging timelines, provide clear and timely communication, raise issues and risks, and develop contingency plans leveraging project management skills
- Assess IP opportunities
- Conduct packaging tests within manufacturing facilities to optimize product and/or process.
- Write specifications, with attention to detail, that deliver consistent, high-quality products.
- Determine palletization patterns in close collaboration with suppliers and supply chain operations.
- Create dielines, technical drawings, and 3d CAD models of packaging.
- Identify cost savings initiatives for the organization.
EDUCATION and EXPERIENCE
- BS/MS - Packaging, Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Mechanical engineering, or related fields
- Minimum 4-8 years of packaging experience is required
- Experience in flexible packaging with perishables is preferred
- Previous commercialization experience in packaging development for consumer food product industry desirable
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- Expert understanding of packaging material interactions/functionality and shelf-life .
- Highly motivated problem solver and the drive to deliver objectives in a complex environment.
- Ability to plan, put together well thought out design of experiments, anticipate next steps and incorporate course corrections when hurdles appear.
- Executional excellence, personal leadership and prioritization skills
- Ability to learn new materials and processes quickly
- Willing to travel up to 30%. Travel could include (but not limited to): within United States, Canada, Mexico and Thailand to contract manufacturers and suppliers
If you are havingdifficulty with the "Upload Resume" button please use the "Copy and Paste" method to share your resume. Thank you.