Manager, Front End Development
We're growing at a faster pace than we ever have before, investing heavily in cutting-edge technology and, more importantly, our people. Our PetSmart IT team isn't just its own department; they are valued business partners to every area of our company. At every level, our IT associates are empowered to come up with the innovative ideas that have strategic impacts on the business. You'll take pride in the work that you do and the "why" behind it all - for the love of pets.
Life at PetSmart: Meet Mike!
Life at PetSmart: Phoenix
Life at Petsmart: My 3 words
The Customer Experience (Marketing) team works to showcase our brand through the lens of expertise and love, and to provide a personalized experience for our consumers backed by best-in-class, data-driven marketing capabilities. The Customer Experience team focuses across 5 departments including, Marketing, Creative, Digital, Communications, and our Loyalty & CRM team. Everyone brings his or her own points of view to create a unique experience for our pet parents and pet parents.
About the Job:
The Manager, Front End Development will be directly responsible for delivering all digital front-end development assets for PetSmart digital properties accurately and in-step with the overall Enterprise Marketing calendar and site releases. This team works closely with Digital Business Optimization, Creative, Platform Product Owners, UX, A/B Testing, Digital Marketing, and IS department. The role is 70% development and 30% management.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Accountable for managing interactions with 3rd party partners when applicable.
- Effectively manage, develop, and positively motivate a diverse team of skilled associates
- Leverage enterprise level critical thinking to ensure that all deliverables and their digital experience fits within the overall Enterprise strategy
- Responsible for effectively communicating updates in a timely and accurate manner to the Director and leadership team.
- Partner closely with Digital Business Optimization, Creative, Platform Product Owners, UX, A/B Testing, Digital Marketing, and IS department and ensure organizational alignment and acceptance.
SKILLS & COMPETENCIES:
- Exceptional critical thinking, problem solving, and program management skills.
- Understands Kanban and Scrum methodology
- Collaborate with UX to build interactive visual website components using Handlebars, SASS, Grunt, and React
- Help to build foundational engineering principles such as automated testing, deployments, and pipelines
- Help build the Front-end team to bring a vision into life.
- Ability to thrive and be flexible in a fast paced, entrepreneurial, and ambiguous work environment.
- Independent, high-energy and results driven with strong executive presence.
- Excellent communication, facilitation, and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively at all levels of the organization and with external vendors.
- Cross-functional retail knowledge including eCommerce, Merchandising, Creative, Supply Chain, and Marketing business processes.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Problem solving and troubleshooting capabilities.
- Proficiency in Microsoft software including PowerPoint, Word, Excel, Project, and Visio.
- Supervisory responsibilities include managing Front End Development. This position is responsible for bringing out the best in associates through coaching, mentoring and management of individual development plans.
- BA/BS degree in Computer Science, or related field preferred.
- Backend development experience preferred (Java, C++, Visual Basic, etc.).
- Experience with versioning system (we use Git), command line, CSS pre-processor (we use Sass).
- 5+ years of management role in an enterprise level organization preferred.
- 3+ year of service architecture integrating APIs and services preferred.
- Retail Industry experience preferred.
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities
Pets keep us young and engaged in so many ways. So helping pet parents get what they need for their pets in the digital age is why I love my job. Even when work gets crazy, everywhere you look, there is a dog or cat who's ready to play. It's the perfect stress relief.Marc
Senior QA Analyst
WHY WORK WITH US?
We are the largest pet specialty retailer with no plans to slow down. We enjoy being top dog and we are constantly evolving with our customers. Oh, and we have puppies and kittens and fish and turtles and hamsters — whichever pet makes you smile, you’ll see them here at our home office!
WHY PETSMART IT?
Technology is ever-changing and our teams need to be able to grow and change just as quickly. That’s why we’ve created a Continuous Associate Transformation (CAT!) Program specifically for the IT team. Whether you want to grow your career by learning new skills or gain leadership experience, PetSmart provides an engaging environment and an actionable plan to support your growth.
We’re growing at a faster pace than ever before. We are building, automating, simplifying, and innovating technology that impacts millions of pets and pet parents. The best part? We don’t have to wait months or years to see changes. We are implementing change RIGHT NOW and it motivates us to keep going.
Seriously, why not? We can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t love it here. What are you waiting for?!
Benefits / Perks
Medical, Dental, Vision
Performance Bonus, 401k Match, Deferred Compensation
Paid Time off:
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development, Online Learning
Dog Park, Fitness Center, Cafe
Onsite Childcare, Wellness Programs, Adoption Assistance
Financial Planning, Legal Assistance, Disaster Relief
Associate Discount, Relocation Assistance, Family Events
We value the diversity in knowledge, experience, and education that our candidates bring to PetSmart. However, those aren’t the only things that make our teams successful. Take a look at just a few of the traits we look for when hiring new associates.