Intellectual Property ParalegalLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2020-1961 Apply Now
The Legal team provides responsive, collaborative, high-quality legal services and sound business solutions to our partners across all areas of PetSmart including business relationships, employment law, associate relations, real estate transactions, and others. They ensure we are operating with integrity and in line with our strategic initiatives.
About the Job:
Paralegal - Intellectual Property
- Maintain trademark docket.
- Conduct and analyze preliminary and comprehensive trademark searches, and counsel clients regarding trademark availability and risks.
- Review product packaging for IP issues and product claims
- Provide support for trademark and copyright applications, including obtaining specimens of use and deposit copies, collecting and preparing evidence, and arranging for legalization of necessary supporting documents.
- Provide support for maintenance of trademark applications and registrations.
- Provide support relating to enforcement actions, trademark oppositions, and cancellation proceedings, including review of watch notices.
- Prepare patent annuity related reports.
- Provide support to draft trademark-related licenses and other IP-related agreements.
- Undergraduate degree from accredited university.
- Paralegal certificate from accredited paralegal program.
- 3-5 years’ relevant experience as IP paralegal.
- Experience with trademark docketing or docket management software, preferably CPI.
- Experience with U.S. and international trademark databases required, preferably SAEGIS.
- Experience in clearing trademarks/trade dress, preparing/filing/prosecuting trademark applications, and licensing and enforcing intellectual property rights required.
- Strong understanding of USPTO trademark application and registration process, statement of use procedures, and renewal requirements.
- Detailed knowledge of USPTO and WIPO systems (e.g., TSDR, TESS, TTAB, PatFT), and excellent knowledge of U.S. and international trademark laws and procedures, required.
- Strong project management skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail and timeliness.
- Capacity to work independently, take on a high degree of responsibility, multi-task and manage a challenging workload.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Sound judgment, high integrity and collaborative team player mentality.
- Knowledge and proficiency in Microsoft applications, including Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint.
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities