Food Quality ScientistLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2020-1887 Apply Now
Our Product Development group focuses on delivering customer-centric innovations that are available only at PetSmart. This allows us to create products and solutions that our pet parents are asking for that they can’t find anywhere else. This team partners with Merchandising, Brand Management, Product Design & Integrity, and Global Sourcing to bring the product from vision to reality.
About the Job:
We are the Product Quality Assurance Department. We ensure that PetSmart products are safe, compliant and perform well for our customers and their pets. We do this by building and managing product standards, fostering a healthy supplier quality management program, and driving product & process improvements.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include, but are not limited to:
- Continually build and maintain product specifications and formulations to ensure they are in-line with FDA (FSMA) and AAFCO regulatory requirements.
- Work with Product Development (PD), Brand Management and Buying teams to identify product expectations and support them by building out the right critical to quality standards.
- Regularly meet with the PD team to discuss new or changing products and offer insights that focus on mitigating food safety risks and ways to achieve desired product attributes.
- Work with Contract Manufacturing to ensure vendors have the right technical and process capabilities.
- Partner with vendors for root cause analysis and CAPA for trending quality issues.
- Review product packaging claims and substantiation with PD and Legal.
- Track, report and elevate trending significant product issues.
- Coordinate product removals, reworks and recalls.
- Support Product Quality Development (within assigned categories): Product Review, CTQ Standards (Product KPI's), Product Formulations, Product Specifications, Claim Substantiation, Sample Evaluation, New Product Start-ups, and Food Safety risk assessments, etc.
- Support Supplier Quality Management (within assigned categories): Supplier Capability Assessments, FSMA Compliance, Pre-Selection approvals (GFSI compliance), Foreign Supplier Verification Program, GAP assessments of production facilities.
- Support Product Quality Improvement (within assigned categories): Track and Escalate Significant Product Issues, Coordinate Product Withdrawals/Recalls, Identify and Implement new CTQ Standard Opportunities.
- Maintain effective work relationships by partnering with Contract Manufacturing, PD and Brand, and Buyers, to help ensure a high quality and safe product is delivered within cost and on time.
- Act as a technical resource to cross-functional partners regarding appropriate regulatory, food safety and production processes for specific product categories.
- Travel Required: 10-20%
- Minimum 5 years in a manufacturing, product development or quality role for consumable products.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Food Science, Chemistry, Microbiology, Animal Science or related field.
- Working knowledge of FDA and AAFCO regulations, GFSI Schemes (SQF, BRC).
- Familiar with various manufacturing processes and product categories.
- Key project management and reporting.
- Self-motivated, passionate, approachable.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment and manage multiple projects at once.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Strong computer skills with proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite.
- PCQI Certified
- HARPC Certified
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities