We're growing at a faster pace than we ever have before, investing heavily in cutting-edge technology and, more importantly, our people. Our PetSmart IT team isn't just its own department; they are valued business partners to every area of our company. At every level, our IT associates are empowered to come up with the innovative ideas that have strategic impacts on the business. You'll take pride in the work that you do and the "why" behind it all - for the love of pets.
Life at PetSmart: Meet Mike!
Life at PetSmart: Phoenix
Life at Petsmart: My 3 words
How this role will make an impact:
As a Solutions Architect (Data) you are responsible for working with the delivery and development teams to develop data designs in support of projects. This position will have a consulting role in the high-level architecture but will spend most of the time understanding data requirements and converting them into conceptual and logical data designs. The Data Architect will also collaborate with the development team responsible for physical implementation of the design. Also, this individual will ensure that Data Governance standards are followed to guarantee the data quality and availability of designed solutions, considering data as an enterprise-wide shared asset.
Your goals and responsibilities will include:
- Works with Enterprise and other Solutions Architects, and business area teams to build detailed technical design and specification documents, to meet business needs for large complex projects, considering capabilities, risks, and system dependencies
- Participate in Solution (and other) architectural reviews and provide feedback and guidance in a structured manner to aide in robust solutions and adherence to standards (where applicable)
- Accountable for gathering data requirements and developing conceptual and logical data designs for strategic and foundational projects in a way that maximizes reuse of core data
- Ensure solutions leverage common data sources and influence development decisions about when, where, and how to stage and/or access data
- Guide developers on physical implementation of logical data designs, including source to target mappings and data flow diagrams, as well as on standards to be followed
- Review & approve physical design to ensure physical database structure matches the logical design
- Contributes on the definition of data governance and standards
- Ensure data solutions meet Enterprise Standards around sensitive data management (PII/PCI) and data cataloguing
- Fully understands PetSmart’s data ecosystem to accurately define the right sources of different data domains to foster standardization and reusability
- Work across teams to leverage synergies and align data models with overall Information Architecture
- Work on multiple concurrent projects, meet business expectations, influence outcomes and maintain stated timelines
What you’ll bring to the table:
- BS Degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, MIS or other technical discipline
- Minimum 8 years hands on data modeling for applications and data warehouse
- Non-functional requirements gathering and solutioning experience from a data modeling perspective (performance and capacity)
- Meta Data concepts, principles and architecture domain
- Ability to develop successful relationships with external and internal partners
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Demonstrated problem solving, multi-tasking, troubleshooting skills with a high degree of flexibility
- Experience in Software Development Life Cycle (SDLC) / Water-fall and Agile development
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to understand key business processes and related issues
- Strong self-leadership and ability to work independently and manage conflict
About our IT team:
We’re growing at a faster pace than we ever have before, investing heavily in cutting-edge technology and, more importantly,our people.Our PetSmart IT team isn’t just its own department, they are valued business partners to every area of our company. At every level, our IT associates are empowered to come up with innovative ideas that have strategic impacts to the business. You’ll take pride in the work that you do and the “why” behind it all—for the love of pets.
Click here to meet Mike Goodwin, PetSmart’s CIOhttps://vimeo.com/254726837
Why you’ll love it here:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite childcare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities
Pets keep us young and engaged in so many ways. So helping pet parents get what they need for their pets in the digital age is why I love my job. Even when work gets crazy, everywhere you look, there is a dog or cat who's ready to play. It's the perfect stress relief.Marc
Senior QA Analyst
WHY WORK WITH US?
We are the largest pet specialty retailer with no plans to slow down. We enjoy being top dog and we are constantly evolving with our customers. Oh, and we have puppies and kittens and fish and turtles and hamsters — whichever pet makes you smile, you’ll see them here at our home office!
WHY PETSMART IT?
Technology is ever-changing and our teams need to be able to grow and change just as quickly. That’s why we’ve created a Continuous Associate Transformation (CAT!) Program specifically for the IT team. Whether you want to grow your career by learning new skills or gain leadership experience, PetSmart provides an engaging environment and an actionable plan to support your growth.
We’re growing at a faster pace than ever before. We are building, automating, simplifying, and innovating technology that impacts millions of pets and pet parents. The best part? We don’t have to wait months or years to see changes. We are implementing change RIGHT NOW and it motivates us to keep going.
Seriously, why not? We can’t think of a reason why you wouldn’t love it here. What are you waiting for?!
Benefits / Perks
Medical, Dental, Vision
Performance Bonus, 401k Match, Deferred Compensation
Paid Time off:
Tuition Reimbursement, Professional Development, Online Learning
Dog Park, Fitness Center, Cafe
Onsite Childcare, Wellness Programs, Adoption Assistance
Financial Planning, Legal Assistance, Disaster Relief
Associate Discount, Relocation Assistance, Family Events
We value the diversity in knowledge, experience, and education that our candidates bring to PetSmart. However, those aren’t the only things that make our teams successful. Take a look at just a few of the traits we look for when hiring new associates.