Counsel, Business Support & Corporate ComplianceLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2019-1498 Apply Now
The Legal team provides responsive, collaborative, high-quality legal services and sound business solutions to our partners across all areas of PetSmart including business relationships, employment law, associate relations, real estate transactions, and others. They ensure we are operating with integrity and in line with our strategic initiatives.
The Business Support/Corporate Compliance Counsel will provide legal support to PetSmart’s business units on a wide variety of complex corporate and commercial transactional matters. This position requires superb critical thinking, an ability to influence and be flexible, and an ability to manage multiple projects across business units with competing priorities. A successful candidate must be able to understand and closely integrate with PetSmart’s business units while maintaining the independence necessary to provide appropriate legal advice and professional integrity.
About the Job:
This is a great opportunity to work in a fast-paced, challenging environment where the successful candidate will get to work closely with internal business clients on a variety of complex commercial transactions and initiatives across the enterprise, all while being a part of a dedicated and fun-loving in-house legal team.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Review, draft and negotiate complex commercial contracts, while identifying and placing into appropriate perspective business and legal risks and resolving issues between third parties and PetSmart’s business units.
- Assist the General Counsel/Senior Counsel to ensure that the Company conducts its business in compliance with applicable SEC laws and regulations
- Assist in oversight of maintenance of all domestic and foreign subsidiaries.
- Provides legal support to the Corporate Secretary, including the drafting, preparation and review of Board of Director meeting materials.
- Assist in compliance with Company’s credit facility requirements and information production obligations.
- Develop strong professional relationships with the company’s business units, studying their needs and operations to provide them with timely and effective advice and support.
- Provide strategic, business and legal advice to multiple business areas on tight timelines.
- Assist in compliance efforts including providing training and presentations to business units as necessary.
- Assist managing attorney in establishing and enforcing internal policies and procedures to ensure compliance with contract submission, review and signature processes.
- Quickly learn Legal Department processes to provide seamless service delivery to PetSmart’s business units.
- Work with one or more support personnel to ensure successful completion of assigned tasks.
- Perform other responsibilities and special projects in support of the Legal team’s goals and initiatives.
- Manage outside counsel.
- Assist with updating existing contract forms and creating new contract templates to provide more self-help tools and resources for the business.
- Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited college or university.
- Juris Doctor from an accredited law school.
- Active license in good standing from a state bar organization in one or more jurisdictions.
- Minimum of five years of related experience, including significant experience working with large companies.
- A combination of both in-house and major law firm practice experience is preferred.
- Experience reviewing, drafting and negotiating complex transactional agreements, preferably with large business clients, is required.
- Relevant experience must include complex commercial transactions involving information technology and systems (technology licensing, maintenance, SaaS agreements, hardware and software acquisition and implementation, and related professional services).
- Demonstrated excellence in oral and written communications, attention to detail, and the ability to quickly digest and convey complex legal issues to non-legal professionals throughout the company in an intelligible and compelling manner.
- Ability to work independently, meet concurrent deadlines, organize time and priorities and work will as a dedicated member of the Legal team.
- Solid presentation skills suitable for a broad range of audiences.
- Excellent organizational skills and ability to effectively manage and deliver projects on time is essential.
- Familiarity with legal matter management system, e-billing, and document repository systems.
- Strong interpersonal skills including an ability to work well with others. This includes the ability to effectively counsel and influence management, peers and staff in accordance with PetSmart’s team-oriented and collaborative culture.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of confidential and privileged information.
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities