Associate Buyer - ConsumablesLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2019-1369 Apply Now
It's no surprise people are passionate about the health and happiness of their pet and our Merchandising (Buying) team is no different. When it comes to the products and solutions in our stores, our incredible teams of merchandising associates have everything covered – from head to tail! From keeping up with the top trends to developing new, innovative solutions, our buyers help ensure every pet parent can find exactly what their pet needs at PetSmart. Join our team and show your love for pets by creating products as special as pets themselves!
About the Job:
As an Associate Buyer you are responsible for setting the merchandise strategy for a category including assortment selection, pricing, promotions and developing the line plan. You will drive vendor selection and negotiation of product purchase, terms and ongoing relationship all while staying abreast of market and competitor trends.
Your goals and responsibilities will include:
- Purchase and manage the merchandise selection to maximize sales and margin and contribute to the business and financial goals of the merchandising group.
- Manage product assortment and product specifications in assigned area in order to identify and address opportunities within the business and the market to maximize sales and margin opportunities.
- Negotiate product costs, terms and shipping/returns issues.
- Act as liaison between merchandising, distribution centers and stores to track shipments and floor purchase orders.
- Develop and manage vendor relationships to ensure the best prices, products and shipments.
- Identify items to maximize promotional and marketing strategies to meet sales and margin goals.
- Provide input to the other merchandising functions to determine the products lifecycle, exit strategy and inventory aging standards within the assigned area.
- Assist with the development of business plans that maximize sales, margin dollars, and margin percentage, based upon current business trends and additional internal business and external market factors.
- Participate in recommending, setting and approving product pricing strategies to achieve specific margin objectives, execute exit strategies and recommend appropriate markdowns.
- Work with other merchandising departments in managing the performance of the product lines through sales, promotion cost, markdowns, inventory, product quality, and selling costs.
What you’ll bring to the table:
- Bachelor's degree in Merchandising Management, Supply Chain Management, Economics or Business from four-year college or university.
- 2-4 years of related buying experience
- Retail buying experience required
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities