Assistant Controller, PetSmart CharitiesLocation Phoenix, Arizona ID 2020-1965 Apply Now
PetSmart Charities is committed to finding lifelong, loving homes for all pets by supporting programs and thought leadership that bring people and pets together. Through its in-store adoption program in all PetSmart® stores across the US and Puerto Rico, PetSmart Charities helps to find forever homes and families for more than 500,000 shelter pets each year. To learn more visit www.petsmartcharities.org.
About the Job:
PetSmart Inc. is seeking an Assistant Controller to support PetSmart Charities. The Assistant Controller will be responsible for managing the general accounting function for PetSmart Charities, Inc., PetSmart Charities of Canada and PetSmart Associate Assistance Foundation (together “Charities”). This position will be responsible for preparing, interpreting and analyzing financial records and implementing internal control procedures to ensure the integrity of financial records.
- Responsible for overseeing the month-end financial close process by preparing complex journal entries, accruals, adjustments and other journal entries as assigned by the Controller and assisting the Staff Accountant, as needed.
- Compile accurate monthly financial statements, perform complete detailed variance analysis and summarize results for Controller.
- Represent the accounting department and collaborate with team members in various project teams and meetings and be an integral part in creating business solutions.
- Works closely with the Controller and other team members to design and implement new processes and recommends improvements of existing processes.
- Assist with the development and management of budget and forecasts.
- Prepare schedules in support of the external audits for Charities and play major role in communication with auditors and audit requests.
- Prepare schedules required for the IRS Form 990 tax return and the Registered Charity information return for Canada.
- Prepares other reports as required by regulatory authorities.
- Document internal controls over financial reporting under the COSO framework
- Document accounting standard operating procedures. Make recommendations for process improvement.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Education:Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
Experience: Minimum 5 - 7 years of related experience.
- A thorough understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles, including nonprofit accounting and tax requirements
- High level of analytical ability used to analyze and interpret accounting reports and communicate results
- Highly motivated, inquisitive, self-starter with the ability to multi-task and effectively manage priorities to meet deadlines
- Understanding of accounting concepts with strong attention to detail
- Strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Proficiency in Excel and other Microsoft Office applications
- Proficiency in automated accounting systems
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- High confidentiality and professionalism required
- Ability to identify and assess areas for process improvement
- CPA certification preferred
- Passion for PetSmart Charities’ mission
- Nonprofit accounting experience
- Working knowledge of SAP accounting systems
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities