District Academy TrainerLocation Conroe, Texas ID 2019-1758 Apply Now
SUMMARYThis Full-time position is responsible for teaching the Academy curriculum to student stylists and for assessing stylist candidates pre- and post-Academy, throughout the District, traveling to do so as required. The District Academy Trainer will act as the district’s grooming technical expert. When not teaching Academy, this position is responsible for technical training and review of readiness for potential academy students within their area of responsibility. This job requires travel among a specified group of store locations and periodic Corporate, Regional, and District meetings.
About the Job:
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Trains and directs grooming trainees to groom dogs to breed standards and to Pet Parent specification while teaching and reinforcing pet and associate safety
- Plans Academy appropriately to ensure proper student/instructor ratio, necessary supplies are available, and that the academy class has enough dogs every day for hands on practice.
- Partners with District Manager, Store Managers, and Salon Managers in the district to interview/assess candidate readiness before attending Academy and may be involved in trainee’s final assessment of technical skills before promotion to Pet Stylist.
- Follows up with Salon Manager to ensure ongoing quality of academy students in Field Practice through skills review processes.
- Partners with Academy and Home Store Managers for any support during Academy training.
- Plans, assigns, and directs work of Academy students; appraises student performance during and post Academy.
- Provides after-Academy technical support to graduated stylists
- Addresses complaints and resolves problems related to the Academy students’ work.
- Monitors the safety and well being of pets in the Salon.
- Ensures all associates in the Academy training salon are following all P&Ps.
- Follows Academy Curriculum as it is written.
- Demonstrates CARE principles to develop well-trained stylists able to build relationships with PPs and assess pet needs.
- Grooms dogs at home store when not teaching Academy.
- Travels within the District as needed to conduct Academy and serve as the District technical expert.
- Provides continuous education and training within the District on Academy and technical aspects of grooming.
- Develops and maintains relationships within the Grooming Community, collaborates with peers District Managers, Store Managers, Salon Managers, Stylists, Bathers, corporate business partners and field leadership.
TIME SPENT PERFORMING JOB RESPONSIBILITIES
- 67% Teaching Academy
- 9% Bather Interviews/Assessments
- 9% Field practice follow up and technicals
- 5% Store visits for safety or quality issues
- 5% Grooming dogs
- 5% Other tasks such as conference calls, paperwork, etc
- Four to six years related experience grooming with superior results in a salon with a preference of at least one year in a PetSmart salon and/or teaching PetSmart Academies.
- Strong track record with regards to pet safety.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals.
- Writes routine reports and correspondence.
- Speaks effectively before groups of Pet Parents and/or associates.
- Additional grooming certifications a plus.
- Able to demonstrate advanced PetStyling skills and groom to breed standards
- Able to demonstrate intermediate written and verbal communication skills.
- Able to demonstrate knowledge of salon policies & procedures.
About the Culture:
Our home office offers outstanding amenities in a fun and rewarding workplace including:
- Pet friendly environment, bring your pets to work!
- A work-life balance and family events such as movie nights, art events and holiday festivals
- “Top Dog” gym with equipment, fitness classes, massage therapists and personal trainers
- “Sit & Stay” Café serving fresh breakfast and lunch options
- Starbucks cart—productivity at its finest!
- “Lil’ Paws” learning center and onsite daycare facility
- Volunteer events with PetSmart Charities